Pinocchio Writing & Art Contest – A Collaboration with Philadelphia Stories, Jr.
For our production of Pinocchio, >buy we are partnering with Philadelphia Stories, ., a local literary magazine for writers 18 years and younger. From now through June 30, you can enter our Pinocchio Writing and Art Contest!
- See the Arden’s production of Pinocchio, on stage from April 13-June 23, 2013, about a wicked wooden boy who trades his schoolbooks for candy and plays hooky at the amusement park. His rebellion has serious consequences, but he is able to redeem himself by saving his father Gepetto from the whale.
- Reimagine Pinocchio’s story through an original poem, short story, or work of art. Your original work can consider questions such as: What is your character made of? Where does your character live? What does he look like? What lies does your character tell and why does your character tell them? What act of bravery must your character do to earn forgiveness? Have fun with these questions, or feel free to make up your own ideas!
- Submit: Children in grades K-12 can send their contest entries by June 30, 2013 to the ONLINE SUBMISSION FORM. Please complete all fields and add the words “PINOCCHIO CONTEST” to your title or email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. Stories must be no longer than 1000 words. Poems should be no more than 36 lines. Photos of any kind of appropriate artwork will be considered.
- The editors of Philadelphia Stories Jr. will pick 9 finalists, 3 from each grade category (K-4, 5-8, 9-12). The finalists will be published in the online edition of the Fall/Winter 2013-14 issues of Philadelphia Stories Jr. and on the Arden Blog.
- 3 Grand Prizes: Readers can visit the Facebook pages for the Arden Theatre Company and Philadelphia Stories Jr. to vote for their favorites. One winner from each grade category will be named on September 1 and notified via email. Each winner will receive a $50 cash prize, a one-day workshop at the Arden Drama School, a Pinocchio T-shirt, and publication in the print issue of Fall/Winter 2013-14 issue ofPhiladelphia Stories Jr.
- All 9 Finalists will win 4 tickets to the first show of the Arden’s 2013/14 Children’s Theatre season!